I thought I would share some of my trip with you … BUT … feel free to “pass” on this post … if you are here for some stamping inspiration! 😀 I won’t take it personally! 😉 I do want to share a lovely card I received in the mail this week … so keep watching for my 2nd post … a little later today … if you like! 😀
Well … I am a tad tired today! 😯 Giggle! I can’t even begin to tell you how much we enjoyed our break in Melbourne. It was sooooo special to have my 3 girls with me … and to share in this special time! This trip is part of our family tradition. Instead of our kids cruising up to the Gold Coast for “schoolies” … they have all chosen to go somewhere special … with either Gav or I. Gav & Shane spent 3 days in Canberra doing all the boy stuff … like go-carting / golf / lazer skirmish etc etc etc. And … I have had a treat with each of my girls shopping and enjoying a nice break in a lovely hotel. Stacey & I went to Melbourne with her best friend & mum. Sheree & I went to the Gold Coast (not during “schoolies”) with Jono’s (son-i-l) mum & sis. And … this last trip … was really special because Skye wanted her two sisters to come with us. It was such a treat to enjoy this time and create some wonderful memories. It probably won’t be possible for many years to come … now that Stacey is about to be a mum. And … I think that helped to make it really special. I just wish I could share all the little memories & moments with you … but there are far too many to recount. So … I will just give a brief run down.
Thankfully, Stace left her camera in Skye’s handbag … so I do have some photos to share … I stole them off Stace’s memory card! 😉 I’m sure she won’t mind. (My camera is still out of action!)
Highlights (in brief) …
- The hotel! The girls loved having a little (okay … A LOT of) luxury … can’t imagine them ever camping again after this! 😉 They are all 5 star girls now!!! 😀
- The shopping! We spent time at DFO South Wharf & Harbourtown Docklands … and it was just as well we allowed for room in our bags! 😀 I can tell you … by 3pm day 3 we were all “shopped out”. Totally exhausted! But … then … we did manage another hour or so to finish after recharging with a coffee.
- Mary Poppins! Our major treat to celebrate Skye’ finishing school. It was magical … musical … exciting! Matt Lee was BRILLIANT as Bert (the smile on his face was such a delight!) … and Verity Hunt-Ballard was “practically perfect in every way” as Mary! The casting was fantastic … and the songs were so spectacular. We loved the tap dancing chimney sweeps … and supercalifragilisticexpialidocious act was amazing! We even had an hilarious ‘malfunction’ … when Mary Poppins came up onto the roof to meet Bert … and got stuck in the chimney!!!!!!! She was “bottom down” with her leg in the air … and still managed to powder her nose with a straight face and pretend that she was supposed to be standing!!!! The theatre laughed and laughed … and there was a 10 min break … before they got started again. Mary got a huge roar of applause … when she arrived up the chimney in one piece the second time! 😀
- Maze Grill. Our fine dining experience … that was lotsa fun! If only we had allowed enough time to enjoy this Gordon Ramsay restaurant … but with a deadline (theatre) … we were a little too rushed to really take it all in properly. We had the best waiter who was very understanding and organised our meals really quickly … but … we did feel a little “out of our depth”! I’m sure we would have relished the challenge of this ritzy experience … if we could have spent a little more time there. Best salmon I have ever tasted … and Skye is still saying “oooooh … that chicken!!!” Everytime she thinks about that meal … she says that same phrase! So … it is a pity we didn’t have a little more time to enjoy!
- The pool! Again … if only we had a little more time to indulge … but this was still a FAB experience. Beautiful temperature … wonderful ambience … comfortable day beds! Just not enough time! (Perhaps we should have done a little less shopping … and a little more relaxing!) Yep! … we DID swim!
- In room movie – “Killers” (Skye hadn’t seen this before … and it was a great choice on Tues night!)
Lowlights: (almost not worth mentioning … ‘cos we just didn’t let them spoil anything … in fact … they actually gave us a good giggle and added to the memories!)
- Hayfever! Yes! According to the radio … the worst hayfever season in Melbourne in 20 years … and Sheree & I suffered greatly with runny eyes … itchy eyes & throat … and constant sneezing! Our asthma flared up (and neither of us have had probs for ages with our asthma!). It really did make us feel miserable at times. I felt “old, haggard & horrible” (a family joke) … because within minutes the make up was gone … and the eyelids were rubbed raw!!!! I am still recovering today … but it is a lot better.
- Taxi break down!!! The concierge at the hotel flagged a cab for us to take downtown to the theatre. It took the cabbie about 5 mins to get the car started … and it did cross my mind that I hoped it didn’t break down at a traffic light on the way. Perhaps I should have insisted on another cab … ‘cos that’s exactly what happened! 😯 Thankfully we had almost completed our trip … but we did have to walk about 4 blocks up Exhibition Street to the Theatre … in high heels!!! 😦
- Rain! We came out of the theatre to find it was raining … and struggled through the crowd and over to the centre of the road … where (on the way to the theatre) we had noticed a cab rank just up the road a little. So … there we were … huddled under two umbrellas in the middle of the street … getting splashed by passing cars … but NO CABS!!! They weren’t even taking the time to stop in the rank … they were picking up from directly outside the theatre! (DUH!!!) 🙄 So … we giggled back to the theatre and managed to flag down a cab. The cabbie was lovely … and made our trip back very pleasant! 😀
- An hour wait on the tarmac … for our plane to leave Melbourne! We boarded … and then sat there for an hour!!! Apparently the rain was causing delays and traffic control kept bumping us back in the queue! So … we arrived home after midnight!!! Poor Gav had travelled up to Sydney an hour early … cos he didn’t get my message until after he was already on his way.
- The bills! Yes … we did spend a little!!!!!! 😉 But … it was so nice for Gav to remind me … that the memories were “worth every cent”! Isn’t he just the best!!!
So … even though I could tell you lots of funny stories (like when Stace spilt her smoothie on her lap) 😉 … I will spare you from any more ramblings! 😀 We did have lots of laughs and … I have had the best 3 days with my best 3 girls! Keep watching for a 2nd post … with a lovely card that I received from Trish on Monday! Hugs xxaxx